Friday, 3 May 2013

A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A NIGERIAN BANK TELLER

OSHARE FAST NOW! WHY YOU DEY SLOW LIKE SAY BOMB DEY YOUR HEAD?

Banking Hall In Nigeria(PM NEWS)
The above was said by a customer at a first generation bank in Sapele to a slow-moving teller. If you had a bomb on your head, would you be slow or fast?

That aside, I have the privelege of knowing several bank tellers and the job is stressful. I am sure you know that. This post by a teller(who shall remain nameless) would give you an insight into the job of a teller. He works at a new generation bank in Lagos.

He is also a Contract staff. It is a common job by the way.

You want a job as a bank teller? Click here.

You would like to get jobs better than the one this post describes, subscribe to our newsletter.

Read on as Frank (name has been changed to protect the innocent) takes you through a busy schedule.

4 a.m 

My phone alarm sounds. I switch it off and try to sleep.

4:10 am

My bed alarm sounds. I groan and wake up.

4:17 am

I have already taken my bath, dressed in my NEW SUIT and said my early morning prayers. I run out the door. All my flatmates have already left for their jobs. (We are all contract staff. Different firms, though.)

4:18 am

I check my wallet and I realize I have just nine hundred Naira in my wallet. I can't wait enough for 25th when I get paid my 63k monthly salary.

5:30 am

I get to Obalende in record time. I notice the conductor has given me a torn fifty naira note. Damn these polymer notes. Not to worry, I would spend it. Afterall, I would be returning at night.

6:00 am

I get to the bank. I had always thought being at the Head Office was a good thing. Three months of waking up at 4:00 am and I realize how wrong I was. I am hungry but God knows I won't eat today. The head Office canteen is damn expensive.

6:20 am

I beg a colleague so I can take a nap in his car. Well, he is not really a colleague. He is an aspiring oga at the top. An assistant manager. He looks at me like something a cat brought in, takes his bag and nods at me.

6:40 am

I am inside the car. Dozing. But I can't sleep. I hope I don't embarrass the bank in front of the customers.

7:00 am

The gates are open. I can see other colleagues trooping in. I join them.

7:05 am

The Head of Operations pulls me aside.

"This is ridiculous, Frank."

7:10 am

I still haven't understood what she means. She walks away to talk to the Executive Director, Retail banking. I nearly melt as the ED frowns at me. What is he doing on the banking floor?

7:15 am

"Frank, you need to go home and change," the HOP says.

I blink and check my suit. "My suit is NEW."

She sighed. "It may be new but it looks cheap. You know how we roll. This would affect the image of the bank. Go and put on something more befitting."

She leaves me with my jaw dropped.

7:30 am

I am staring at myself in a mirror. I spent 33% of my salary last month to purchase this suit! go home and change? Get something befitting? I get paid just 63k!

7:45 am

I am heading towards Obalende. The conductor ask for the fare. I check for my wallet. I can't find it.

Our gentleman bank teller refuses to say what happened after 7:45 am. 

What do you think about bank teller jobs in Nigeria? Can you guess the bank our guest works for? Comment on the blog.

As usual, you can sign up for our NEWSLETTER








1 comment:

  1. Nice write up.
    63k, bank teller, contract staff...hmm , that's definitely zenith bank. You can take that to the bank.

    ReplyDelete